Grades 8 - 9
The following subjects are offered in Grades 8 and 9:
- First additional language: – Afrikaans or isiXhosa or French (only for girls from across the border) or Mandarin
- Second additional language: isiXhosa or French or Spanish or Mandarin or Classical Civilisations or Afrikaans Support, or English Enrichment (See SAL details below) or Music
- Economic Management Studies
- Creative Arts (Music, Drama, Art, and Dance)
- Design and Technology
- Natural Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
- Religious Education/Chaplain period
- Life Orientation
- Digital Literacy and ethics (Grade 8 only)
- Diversity and Belonging
- Robotics and Coding (Grade 8 only)
- Marine Sciences (Grade 9 only)
Second Additional Language Options
Our policy is that Grade 8 and 9 girls should be exposed to a wide range of cultures and languages.
Girls may choose to take:
- isiXhosa or French or Mandarin or isiXhosa or Classical Civilisations or Spanish
- Girls may choose to take Music as a two-year course over Grades 8 and 9. However, there is a process for identifying children who have an affinity for this subject.
- The Heads of the English and Afrikaans departments will SELECT girls to do English enrichment and/or Afrikaans Support. These are NOT optional subjects. Girls will be identified and placed in these classes if it is felt that they need assistance in building up their confidence and catching up with the rest of the class.
Arts and Culture
In Grade 8, girls will select three Creative Arts subjects from: Music, Art, Drama and Dance. They will focus on one subject per term.
In Grade 9, girls will do three of the following subjects; each for eight periods a cycle (one choice per term):
- Visual Art
- Economic Management Studies (EMS)
- Subject Music
- Marine Sciences
This is to allow girls to spend more time doing the three subjects with which they have an affinity. If a girl would like to do Accounting as a Matric subject, she must choose EMS in Grade 9 as one of her options.
Grade 9 Subject Choices for Gr 10-12
Please click on the link to access information on each subject offered to matric as well as the subject packages Subject Choices.
Girls must study English in Option 1, an Additional Language in Option 2, Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy in Option 3, and Life Orientation in Option 7. Pupils choose one subject from each of Options 4, 5 and 6.
- Option 1 – English
- Option 2 – Afrikaans (Home Language or First Additional Language) or isiXhosa (First Additional Language) Students who have ‘immigrant’ status can select French (Second Additional Language) or Mandarin (Second Additional Language) or Computer Applications Technology or Business Studies
- Option 3 – Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy
- Option 4 – Design or Dramatic Arts or Geography or Information Technology or Life Sciences or Music or Mandarin (Second Additional Language – by arrangement only)
- Option 5 – Business Studies or Geography or History or Physical Sciences
- Option 6 – Accounting or History or Life Sciences or Visual Arts
- Option 7 – Life Orientation
Further Studies (formerly ap)
Further Studies Mathematics and Further Studies English are offered as extra subjects.